Recommended Buprenorphine SR™ dose rates are:
- 0.12 mg/kg for Cats
- 0.03 - 0.06 mg/kg for Dogs
- 1.0 - 1.2 mg/kg for Laboratory Rats
- 0 .5 – 1.0 mg/kg Laboratory Mice
Buprenorphine SR releases over 72 hours and provides blood levels greater than 1 nanogram/mL in dogs and 0.5 nanogram/mL in cats for post operative analgesia.
Buprenorphine hydrochloride in a sustained release biodegradable matrix is available in 5 mL vials at concentrations of:
- 10 mg/mL [for use in dogs]
- 3 mg/mL [for use in small dogs and cats]
- 1 mg/mL [for use in laboratory rats]
Precautions and Contraindications
Some patients may exhibit bradycardia and slight sedation associated with opiates. Veterinarians must rely on their professional knowledge and judgment when prescribing Buprenorphine SR. In dogs, the dose rate may vary from 0.03 to 0.06 mg/kg body weight.