Buprenorphine SR™is an injectable, patented, sustained-release polymer system designed to release Buprenorphine over a 72-hour period.
Buprenorphine has produced excellent analgesic results in broad clinical applications for cats, dogs, exotic species and laboratory animals. This thebaine derivative provides analgesia for management of perioperative / postoperative pain, as well as painful joint injuries, fractures, tissue inflammation due to infection, tissue necrosis and trauma resulting from wounds. Amelioration of postsurgical pain has been substantiated in a variety of species1. Due to its long duration of action, it is one of the most widely used opioid analgesics in veterinary clinical practices.2,3,4
Key Features of Buprenorphine SR™
- Provides sustained release delivery of Buprenorphine in a fully biodegradable liquid polymer matrix
- Provides a consistent 72-hour release profile with consistent drug absorption
- Provides blood levels greater than 1 nanogram/mL for post operative analgesia
- Formulation can be injected subcutaneously through a 22-gauge need
1. Roughan JV and Flecknell PA. 2002. Buprenorphine: a reappraisal of its antinociceptive effects and therapeutic use in alleviating post-operative pain in animals. Lab Anim 36:322-343.
2. Capner CA, Lascelles BDX and Waterman-Pearson AE. 1999. Current British veterinary attitudes to peri-operative analgesia for dogs. Veterinary Record 458 145:95-99.
3. Dohoo SE and Dohoo IR1996 Factors influencing the postoperative use of analgesics in dogs and cats by Canadian veterinarians.CanVetJ 37:552-56
4. Watson AD, Nicholson A, Church DB and Pearson MR. 1996. Use of anti-inflammatory and analgesic drugs in dogs and cats. Aust Vet J 74:203-210.